CORONAVIRUS DISEASE has spread across the world today and everyone wants to know about the tips to protect themselves. The covid-19 outbreak of this pandemic has caused economic chaos and uncertainty. It spreads so quickly that it has taken lives of over 42,528 in the world and 80,000 people in India have been infected, but death count is 38 which is comparatively very less than other countries.
What is coronavirus disease?
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus. Most people infected with the COVID-19 virus will experience mild to moderate respiratory illness and recover without requiring special treatment. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and cancer are more likely to develop serious illness. . People who have underlying medical conditions and those over 60 years old have a higher risk of developing severe disease and death.
At this time, there are no specific vaccines or treatments for COVID-19. Which is why it was necessary to take proactive actions to break the chain to that less people get affected by this pandemic. Honorable Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi took a very firm action of imposing guidelines for national Lockdown for 21 days in India. This is apparently amused to be effective in slowing down the transmission of this disease.
The COVID-19 virus affects different people in different ways. Common symptoms include:
- dry cough
- shortness of breath
- aches and pains
- sore throat
- rare cases report of diarrhoea, nausea or a runny nose
Some of the guidelines suggested by WHO to prevent the transmission of this disease are listed below:
- Masks should be worn around people who are near an infected person or by the infected person.
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, or clean them with alcohol-based hand rub.
- Maintain at least 1 meter distance between you and people coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- Refrain from smoking and other activities that weaken the lungs.
- Practice physical distancing by avoiding unnecessary travel and staying away from large groups of people.
People with mild symptoms who are otherwise healthy should self-isolate and contact their medical provider or a COVID-19 information line for advice on testing and referral. People with fever, cough or difficulty breathing should call their doctor and seek medical attention.
Other ways of avoiding this situation is engaging in healthy lifestyle which includes regular workout, healthy dietary habits, be hydrated, maintain proper hygiene, take extra care of people who have other serious illnesses and stay optimistic. Take proper guidance by health experts and follow them.