World Anti-Obesity Day is an international observance held on 26 November, with several healthcare organizations and the Gulf Cooperation Council(GCC) countries that highlights how Obesity is a public health hazard. The first Anti-Obesity Day campaign was launched in 2001 by VLCC, an Indian wellness brand founded by Vandana Luthra. The campaign focused on developing a healthy lifestyle to prevent obesity and stay fit and healthy. This day received a wide media coverage. It included mass counseling sessions, health camps, talk shows with leading health experts, media campaigns, educational events etc.
WHAT IS OBESITY?
- It is the medical condition in which body fat is accumulated to the extent that it may have a negative effect on health.
- It is different from being overweight, which means weighing too much.
- Obesity happens over a time when you start eating more calories than you use to.
- Body Mass Index (BMI) is a simple index of weight-for-height that is commonly used to classify overweight and obesity in adults.
- For adults, overweight is BMI greater than or equal to 25 and Obesity is BMI greater than or equal to 30.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF OBESITY?
The fundamental cause of Obesity is the imbalance between calories taken and calories expended. It is also caused by various other factors which include:
- Physical inactivity
- Excessive food intake.
- Genetic Susceptibility
- Eating high-fat foods
- Leading Sedentary Lifestyle
- Endocrine Disorders
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF OBESITY?
An obese person is more prone to serious diseases than the one leading a healthy and normal life. They are at a major risk of various chronic diseases such as:
- All causes of death (mortality)
- High Blood Pressure
- High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides (Dyslipidemia)
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Gallbladder Disease
- Mental Illness, etc.
WHAT ARE THE TREATMENTS OF OBESITY?
The goal of the obesity treatment is to reach a healthy life. The role of the treatment begins with weight-loss programs that require changes in your eating habits and increased physical activity. There is no ‘magic wand’ treatment for obesity. Person’s commitment towards weight-loss programs can be successful to treat obesity. The other treatment tools include:
- Dietary changes – Reducing excessive calories diet and practicing of healthy eating habits are pivotal in overcoming obesity. You can restrict your diets and cut calories from your food.
- Exercise and physical activity – It is necessary to keep moving in order to burn calories and shed excess weight. Doing exercise and physical activity can prevent weight gain and help to improve your fitness and endurance.
- Prescription weight-loss medications – There are various medical prescriptions available in order to maintain your weight. But it is necessary to have a proper diet with these weight-loss medicines. Though the medicines can have side-effects and can’t be same for every person. So the intake of these kind of medicines should be done properly.
- Weight-lose surgery – The weight-lose surgery or Bariatric Surgery is another option that can help people lose weight by changing the way the body digests and absorbs food. It is performed by minimally invasive techniques. The most common Bariatric Surgery procedures are Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy, Adjustable Gastric Band, and Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch.
WHAT ARE THE PREVENTIVE MEASURES FOR OBESITY?
To prevent obesity is to maintain a healthy lifestyle and the body weight. It is necessary to start the intake of healthy food habits in order to prevent obesity. Preventing Obesity is very important. Once the fat cells get collected in the body, it”ll be difficult to get rid of them.
World Anti-Obesity Day is the best initiative taken by the country in order to aware people about the healthy lifestyle. It is the time to help people rid of the serious health hazard. Now when we have the technologies to improve our health conditions, then why to sit idle and complain. To consult the best doctor in order to reduce your body fat, consult the best surgeons in the city. Radix Healthcare has proved to be the best in performing Bariatric Surgery.