Liver is one of the largest organs of our body. It has many essential metabolic functions to play in our body. An adult human liver weighs about 1.4 kg and is found in the right upper abdomen, which is below the diaphragm. The gallbladder, which stores the bile, is found on the underside of the liver.
Our liver is a powerhouse of an organ. It plays a variety of roles in a human body which includes:
- It is our very own chemical processing plant. It receives 30% of our blood to perform the chemical processing in our body, to remove toxic substances from our body and store the essential nutrients.
- It also keeps us energized, by storing the excess glucose in the body in the form of glycogen, ready for converting back into glucose when levels drop between meals, during exercise or when you’re fasting.
- The liver is fat processing factory. It breaks down fat and compounds such as lipoproteins, cholesterol and phospholipids. It maintains a balance between high levels and low levels of fat stored in our body.
- Liver plays a central role in processing proteins in our body. Proteins are the vital substances of our body and our liver takes charge of these proteins. Liver receives the proteins via blood and removes the nitrogen that rapidly changes into ammonia. It acts fast to convert ammonia into urea to eliminate it out from the body., through urine.
- It is our own health store. Each of our liver cell contains all essential nutrients including Vitamin A, B12, D, E and K, as well as minerals like iron and copper. The liver stores all of these for use whenever body needs them.
- It also removes all toxic substances from our body by removing dead cells and invading bacteria, processing nitrogen and cholesterol and neutralizing harmful hormones. All the unwanted substances are eliminated by liver with the help of bile, which is stored in the gall bladder, into the kidney for dispersal.
There is a lot that our liver does on daily basis, so its our responsibility to show some appreciation towards it. Its an organ which can easily trash off, if not taken care of. Keeping your liver in a good shape is necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Check out what you should eat and what you should avoid eating to keep your liver healthy and in a good condition. Discover the following tips to keep your liver on your side.
Studies have proved that coffee keeps our liver away from disease. It is one of the beverage that helps in promoting the health of the liver. Coffee reduces the risk of developing liver cancer, inflammation and increases the level of antioxidants into the body.
Grapefruit contains antioxidants that promotes the health of liver. The two main antioxidants found in grapefruit are naringenin and naringin. The antioxidants present in grapefruit reduce inflammation and protects the liver cells.It is a good way to fight damage and inflammation in the liver.
- GREEN LEAFY VEGETABLES
One of the most powerful allies in cleansing the liver. Vegetables whether eaten raw or cooked soaks up environmental toxins from the blood stream. Incorporate green leafy vegetables such as bitter guard, arugula, spinach, mustard greens, broccoli, etc. into your diet to protect your liver from any disease.
- ALTERNATIVE GRAINS
Its time to makes changes in the diet you normally intake, which includes only wheat, flour or other standard grains. You should add alternative grains into your diet such as millet, buckwheat etc. to reduce the amount of gluten in the body. Gluten also increases the risk of having liver related problems.
RELATED: Know how gluten is harmful to your body.
Nuts are high in nutrients and fats and are beneficial plant compounds. They are responsible for several health benefits, including the health of heart and the liver. Walnuts are rich in amino acids arginine, which supports the detoxification of ammonia from liver.Make sure you chew the nuts until they are liquefied before swallowing.
- LEMONS AND LIME
Intake of the products that are high in Vitamin C helps in stimulating the liver. They help the body in body in synthesizing toxic materials into substances that can be absorbed by water. Such products are severely beneficial that helps in lowering inflammation, preventing damage and increasing antioxidant levels.
- BEETROOT JUICE
Beetroot juice is a source of nitrates and antioxidants known as betalains, which is advantageous to heart health and reduce oxidative damage and inflammation in the liver, as well as increases natural detoxification enzymes.
RELATED: Know how to keep yourself healthy.
Besides maintaining a healthy diet, it is also necessary to reduce the amount of stress one has in his/her life and try to practice forgiveness in your life. Poor liver health is also linked to physical or psychological symptoms, so its good to be stress-free in order to keep your liver healthy. Also, it is important to keep your body moving through exercise and activity to really allow your liver function to reach its optimal level.
As a multitasking organ of our body, our liver is most vulnerable to many acute or chronic diseases, therefore it is necessary to improve the health of the liver. By following the tips mentioned above, you can keep all-important organ in a tip-top shape. If you want to consult the best doctor for a regular check up for your liver, you can visit Radix Healthcare.